Saturday, March 20, 2010

So long Corporate America, you've been good to me



Six years in Corporate America. Five of those years working from home for HP. When I was hired I asked my manager if they cared where I lived since I worked from home. Her response, "You can live on the moon as long as you have an internet connection."

Can you say DREAM JOB!

I haven't talked about my job on the blog at all and now that I'm moving on to full-time motherhood I wanted to give a little shout out to HP, for being an amazing place to work full of wonderful people. Granted, all the downsizing and restructuring have killed a bit of the fun but man, I used to pinch myself all the time, I felt so lucky. HP you'll always have a bit of my heart. Don't change too much.

Highlights....

  1. Creating and giving a communications training to a team in Bangalore, India and Singapore with one of my favorite friends and old BYU roomies who was also a co-worker of mine
  2. Hotel shopping for a conference I organized in New York City. This meant traveling there several times and being spoiled sick by the Westin Times Square, The Roosevelt, The Waldorf-Astoria and the Essex House - all in an effort to win our favor
  3. Presenting at a few of the many many worldwide webcasts I produced every few months
  4. An absolutely pointless and fabulous team meeting trip to Munich, Germany
  5. A week in Acapulco, Mexico (hotel hunting for another conference) where I swam with dolphins and got a lovely sunburn sitting with my laptop by the pool
  6. Getting a one-way ticket to Houston because they needed my help so much...and staying for 17 days. I ate EVERYTHING on the Sheraton's room service menu and got a zillion starwood points
  7. Working on my laptop while getting a pedicure
  8. Traveling so much I would often forget which airport I was at
  9. SPA trips and amazing hotels! The Ritz-Carlton in Singapore, the Leela Palace in Bangalore and a myriad of Starwood favorites.
  10. I could go on forever. Thanks Marie, Pat, Emil, Katie and the million other people that made HP such a wonderful place to work and helped me appreciate the finer things in life (haha, Kris is ever so grateful :)
And now....the best adventure yet! Full-time, stay-at-home Mom. Something feels so great about typing that.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must say, number 2 on your list was unforgettable!way to go mommy!

JenJ said...

yippeeee wahooooo way to go Cath! you blessed soul.

Tara said...

WOW! What a great job-welcome to full time motherhood-you'll never be so busy!

Becca LeSueur said...

You're awesome! Could I say more? And I hope you never look back on that decision.

Katie said...

Woo hoo! Congratulations! Love the list of highlights! Fun times for sure. And Munich was NOT pointless...we had shopping to do, right? :)

Call me sometime! I want to talk to you!

Wendle said...

And what a beautiful stay-at-home-mom you make.

Kali said...

I love your social experiments! hahaha. That comment just made my day. :)

P.S. I didn't even know you had been working this whole time! Wow. That is pretty impressive. Welcome to the best full time job in all the world:) {not that you don't already know that or didn't already have two jobs... you know what I mean:)}

Andrews Family said...

Where do I sign up for that job? LOL..sounds like a lot of fun traveling to all those places!! But, I am sure, nothing compares to being with your little guy :)